MBBS (Belg), FRCS Ophthalmology (Glasgow), AM, CCFT Oculoplastic (Holland, Singapore, Malaysia)
Consultant Ophthalmologist & Oculoplastic Surgeon at Island Hospital Penang.
Dr Vanessa became a fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (Ophthalmology) Glasgow in 2004. She is an experienced and versatile cataract surgeon. She firmly believes that cataract surgery should be customized to each patient (using modern technology and advanced lenses) to give the best visual outcome. She has been involved in conducting courses and training younger surgeons in cataract surgery.
Sub-Specialty in Eye Plastic
She has pursued further training in the subspecialty of Eye Plastic Surgery in the Rotterdam Eye Hospital in Holland, National University Hospital in Singapore and Serdang Hospital Malaysia. She was board certified in the subspecialty of Eye Plastic Surgery. Being trained in various corners of the globe gives her a broader perspective and understanding of the uniqueness each ethnicity has to offer.
Eye plastic surgery or Oculoplastic surgery is a general term used to represent a variety of procedures that involve the orbit, eyelids, tear ducts, and the face. Ocular reconstructive surgery, aesthetic eyelid surgery, facial plastic surgery, and cosmetic procedures fall into this category.
Award & Participation
She started the Eye Plastic Unit in the Penang General Hospital and was leading the Oculoplastic Faculty. For the above reason she was bestowed the Excellence Service Award by the Ministry of Health, Malaysia in 2015. Apart from that she was actively involved in teaching the postgraduate Masters in Ophthalmology students and undergraduate students of the Penang Medical College.
Areas Of Focus
- Cataract Surgery
- Aesthetic Eye Plastic Surgery like double eyelid, droopy eyelid, browlift, eyebag and midface rejuvenation, Botox® injection
- Paediatric Ophthalmology, children with eye plastic, squint and other eye disorders
- Glaucoma, diabetes, medical retina disorders and external ocular diseases
- Tear duct disorders and squint surgery
- Orbital trauma and reconstruction
- Thyroid Eye disease, eyelid and orbital cancer
- Facial nerve palsy and non-invasive facial rejuvenation
- Bahasa Malaysia
- Bahasa Indonesia
Dr. Vanessa’s Eye Clinic
308, Macalister Road, 10450 Penang, Malaysia